Sunday 17 January 2016

Tour Divide 2016

First an update on the training. 17 days in, I have tapped out 840km on the bike so far. I am very happy with this but need to make sure I stay on top of things. In 2013, I managed to ride 1,000km a month for the five months in the lead up so I at the moment I am well ahead of that. I probably could be riding more but am a little concerned about ramping up too fast with not being on the bike at all in November and December. February will be the important one with fewer days but the big base that I will have set in January.

A fantastic long hard and reasonably fast ride up some big hills today with Benny. It was great to ride with Benny, it always is. I like to pretend that we are reasonably evenly matched but he is much stronger than me at the moment and I am sure I was slowing him down if anything. I think he really enjoyed the longer ride as well. It is great that we didn't really have a plan at all when we started but knew we had the time and motivation to go for something a bit serious. Lots of gravel and lots of climbing.

I like to think the kilometres I am doing this time are better than the kilometres done in preparation for 2013. There are very few easy rides down here, always lots of climbing. I am not really sure. I did a couple of long rides in 2013 where you earned every metre with no coasting at any stage where as down here once you climb the hill there is descending. I can definitely see where 8 hours in the saddle pushing hard on the flat has real benefit as well. So long as I am doing the kilometres, my legs will get much stronger and hopefully build a bit of belief.

I do need to take advantage of the daylight hours when I have them down here as well, it will not be long before the days are noticeably shorter which slows things down a fraction and makes it a little cooler and a whole load less pleasant. Weekend rides are good at the moment as a change from the normal commute. I am very lucky to have the commute I do with 80km per day but it is awesome to go and see some other places on the weekend.

Definitely in for the Audax 200 mixed terrain ride on 30 Jan. The remoteness had worried me and the amount of climbing is insane but sounds like perfect training for the Divide in June.

My diet is coming on in fits and spurts. I seem to do well for a few days and then slip up badly, which is what happened on Friday. Consumed more calories of poor nutrition than it should be possible to put in your mouth without getting ill. Then had probably too much to drink on Saturday night which again is a whole load of calories with no nutritional value. I have dropped a couple of kilograms but do need to lose many more. I think it will all come together and maybe it is good to do it over several months but I know I would be a much better cyclist if I was pushing 10 less kgs up those hills.

I have had reason over the last week or so to ponder some of the more selfish things that I think. I know I have written about it in the past with my contribution to The Cordillera. It does worry me and it is important that no matter what happens there are things much bigger in my life than riding my bicycle or this race. At the end of the day, I don't want to hurt anyone through any of this.

Why do this? Why do this again. Really it is unfinished business. Yes, I do love being out there. I enjoy being on my own out there and being able to forget about all of the mundane things in life for three weeks as I just cycle. I think I have accrued much knowledge best applied to being on the Divide route and I do surprise myself with how competitive a person I can periodically be on the bicycle. Things happened last time and I didn't start with the right expectations probably because I didn't know what the right expectations were. This time I can get fit and ride hard. There are so many reasons to be out there seeing, doing, thinking, feeling and experiencing. I cannot wait.

Where to from here? It is still early in my preparation and whilst I am kind of making it up as I go, I am happy where I am. Probably get around 1,600km for the month, which will be a good start. Ramp it up from there. If I take it in monthly instalments, I know that I will need to have an easier week at some stage, probably early March, to let the body recover and build from there but at the moment riding big. Should I get Jaime on board as a coach? I do need someone to be absolutely honest with me about things. I know that I can get things wrong in my own head, particularly when I am tired or maybe not as focussed as I should be. I will know more about the cycling and the race but someone to keep me honest and independently assess would be really helpful. Jaime has expressed an interest and I also think he would have a natural aptitude as he is a deep thinker about things.









No comments:

Post a Comment