Friday 1 January 2016

Welcome to 2016

Clearly it is time that I posted something again. Not exactly new years resolutions but certainly some very big plans.

I am committed to getting back to the US in June for another attempt at riding the Divide. Keen to capture some of my progress on the way, how I get there all that kind of thing.

I a lucky enough to have some buy in from Michelle on this one which has worried me a lot for quite some time and although I know she is not going to enjoy it and probably isn't ever going to understand why I go and do these crazy things at least she is across where I am at and will support me as much as I expect she ever will on my cycling adventures.

It is going to be a bit of a journey just getting to the starting line this time. In 2013 I had significantly more money at my disposal, primarily thanks to some sponsorship and a job that paid well. Whilst I don't ever need to worry about money, it is definitely a lot tighter now than three years ago and this will drive much of my approach. I know a lot more about things and if I had the money would go with a much lighter weight set up but that probably just isn't going to happen.

My current health and fitness is going to be another part of the journey. I have been reasonably fit and doing a fair bit of cycling until the start of November but for several reasons have barely been on the bike for the last two months. That changes right now. Current plan is to commute on the bicycle at least three days a week and do as much riding as life will allow on the weekends. Audax seems like the best option there but I have several other plans in train. My worries about the commute are that I will be doing 80km per day on the bike, 40 km of that climbing on quite steep hills and the other 40 descending. I don't want to be training myself to just be able to ride that distance, I need some much longer distances in my schedule. I will not get stale on the commute, I only need to be in the car one morning to realise how lucky I am to be able to ride to work in the peace and calm of the morning on the quiet roads down here rather than on that busy highway in a car.

I didn't do the kilometres in training last time, averaging only 1,000km a month in the six months leading up. I would like to double that to have a much bigger base. I have a bit of a plan for this but maybe in a different post.

I know a lot of guys have coaches for this kind of thing. It would probably help me, mainly because I tend to not be as honest with myself as I can be. I would hope a good coach would know when things are going well and perhaps give me some of the frank and fearless advice when I haven't done the right thing. Clearly I won't have a coach and will be coming up with all of the plans myself and motivating myself to get out there a often as possible. I think being out there on as many days as is possible is just as important as doing to big rides when you are building a base.

First ride was yesterday a tip over 70km on the Triton. Didn't feel very fit and healthy but it was good to be out there. Felt very fat and slow, am on the wrong side of 80kg at the moment and it will be interesting to see how quickly that changes with the amount of riding planned. I ran into Mobbsy out there yesterday and he was looking very fit and tanned. As he always tells us, he is in his 70s and is still fit fast and strong on the bicycle. He spends all his time cycling but his wife hates him so I don't think that is a good outcome. Felt much worse at the end of the ride than I should have, I could have cycled all day and maybe I would have started feeling good again but I was ready for carbs. Cycled into Huonville, out through Ranelagh and Judbury to the top of Denison Ridge to give me some climbing. Then it was back down and out along Lonavale Road. I really like that Lonavale road normally but it is terrible this time of year with every dog and his man chasing the same peace and serenity out in the bush that I am. Unfortunately they are looking for it from the cab of their Land Cruiser at 90km/h on my quiet dirt roads. Some really bad road kill out there at the moment and I think I will just avoid that road until February.

I need to be a lot more disciplined in many aspects of my life. Save lots of money, eat far better, ride more, don't waste time with silly television, study what I need to study. Do much more for and with those that I love dearly. Make sure I have plans to make things happen.

I will try and blog far more often with progress on training, course knowledge etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment